|Meeting Room Rentals|
As part of its bibliographic services, Shortgrass orders, catalogues, and processes library materials for member libraries. Centralized ordering reduces the cost of library materials, allowing member libraries to realize a larger discount than they would ordering library materials independently.
Libraries may order material with their allotment budget, or use their own funds to order material through SLS. The Shortgrass Library System provides an annual per capita allotment to member libraries which is to be used for the purchase of library materials. The rate for the per capita allotment is reviewed and set by the Shortgrass Library System on an annual basis.
For general information about Cataloguing, Acquisitions and Processing, please contact the Manager of Systems and Technical Services
Shortgrass provides regularly scheduled deliveries of purchased materials, interlibrary loans, and circulating collections to member public libraries as well as contracted partners (PRSD, MHC). The deliveries include correspondence, promotional materials, announcements, reports, etc. Learn more about our Delivery Schedule
Hardware & Software Purchases
Wireless Internet Access (WiFi)
Shortgrass provides a wireless tunneling and authentication network for use by member libraries and their patrons. Member libraries are responsible for the cost of wireless access points. Wireless access points are required in order to provide wireless internet access. Shortgrass provides maintenance and support for wireless access points and connectivity to them.
- One-on-one and group training programs designed and delivered by Shortgrass staff
- Bi-annual Shortgrass Member Libraries’ Professional Development Day
- Board orientation and development workshops
- Library manager orientations
- Assistance with strategic planning
- Access to vendor training (e.g. OverDrive, online databases, Mango language learning software)
Provincial Resource Sharing Network Policy
The Provincial Resource Sharing Network Policy (updated April 2010) governs interlibrary lending outside the Shortgrass system and applies to all public libraries in Alberta. The Provincial Resource Sharing Network is based on a principle of reciprocal borrowing. That is, libraries lend their material to other libraries who lend like material. The Provincial Resource Sharing Network Policy for Alberta Public Library Boards was updated in October 2009 to address the libraries that do not participate in reciprocal borrowing through the network.
Library 2 You
- 2 catalogues per year – choose any book(s) you want. Current catalogue: #73 Winter/Spring 2013
- Free return labels – this means no mailing costs for the customer
- The opportunity to request materials not in the L2Ucatalogue (for example from the Shortgrass Bibliocommons catalogue)
Video Conferencing Services
Learn, Communicate, Explore!
Attend meetings, interview job candidates, and host or participate in programs about law, nature, health, and much more with videoconferencing.
This service is managed by the RISE Network. The RISE Network works with public libraries to provide southern Albertans with opportunities to communicate with health care professionals, participate in distance education, attend meetings, learn new skills and more – all by videoconference from their local library.
Recorded programs can be found on the RISE Vimeo Channel
Disk Repair Services
FAQ - Frequently Asked Questions
Are there damages that the machine cannot fix?
Do you check the disks after buffing to see if they work?
Is there a cost for this service?
How do I send in my disks to be repaired?
What is the turnaround time for the disk repair service?
Can I offer my patrons or community members to repair their personal disks?
Yes, you can offer this service to your patrons and community members. The charge for patrons is $1 per disk, for a non-patron the charge is $2 per disk. Shortgrass will need this money to offset the costs of the equipment maintenance (buying the additional supplies of cleaning fluid, cleaning pads, etc.) When sending personal disks to us, please fill in the Shortgrass DVD cleaning receipt form, give the cut-away part of the form to the patron and send the upper part of the form with the DVDs or CDs to Shortgrass.
Shortgrass provides website hosting services for it's members as well as training, content management, and support, to assist them in presenting their services and resources to online communities. Library managers have the choice of updating the content of their website on their own or can opt to have content provided by Shortgrass' Technology Services staff. For more information about website services please contact the Systems Administrator.
Meeting Room Rentals
For meeting room bookings, please contact the Executive Assistant.
The Shortgrass Library System Board of Trustees views its Board Room as a valuable regional community resource. The Board’s Bylaw 1.5 states that the space may be rented or loaned as meeting space to outside agencies.
The Board Room is a suitable meeting space for up to 16 people, with facilities for coffee, tea, and water. Rest rooms are also available.
Procedures and Guidelines
There are 3 categories of potential users of the facility
- SLS Board and staff
- SLS member municipalities and member library boards/staff
- Non-SLS agencies
SLS Board and Staff Use
Use by the Board and staff take precedent over other requests, provided appropriate booking procedures are followed.
Use by SLS Member Municipalities and Member Library Boards/Staff
Use by the above groups will be at no charge during business hours, except for coffee service.
If the facility is requested for non-business hours, then a charge of $50 per half day or evening may be necessary, plus coffee service fees. Room availability is dependent upon staff availability and CEO approval.
Use by Non-SLS Agencies
Use by the above groups will be at a nominal charge of $50 per half day during business hours. Coffee service will be available at an additional fee.
If the facility is requested for non-business hours, then a charge of $75 per half day or evening may be necessary, plus coffee service fees. Room availability is dependent upon staff availability and CEO approval.
- All bookings must be made through the Executive Assistant.
- All users, other than SLS Board and staff, must complete the facility usage/rental agreement prior to use.
- Signers of rental agreement must be 18 years old or older.
- Facility will not be available on statutory holidays.
- No alcohol usage is permitted.
- Hours of use are at the discretion of the CEO.
- Cancellations of evenings and weekend bookings must be made at least two full business days in advance of the booking date. SLS reserves the right to apply full charges to renters who provide less notice.
- The user/renter is responsible for the due care of the facilities and contents.
- All young adults and children must be under supervision.
- If the user/renter will be advertising the event, then the following statement must be part of the advertisement.
- Use of the SLS Board Room by a community group does not imply SLS endorsement of the aims and objectives of the group.
- The user/renter shall be financially responsible to the Board for all loss or damage to the facilities by any person(s) admitted to the facility by the user/renter.
- The SLS supervising employee shall have the authorization to request that the renter vacate the premises due to inappropriate conduct or overstaying of time.
- The SLS CEO’s decisions shall be final in all matters pertaining to the interpretations of these procedures and guidelines.
Coffee or Tea at $5 per pot.
Preference is given to eBooks; member libraries are encouraged to buy eAudiobooks based on their local demand. eBook and eAudiobook titles bought by an individual library or based on an individual library requests are paid for out of the library's own materials budget.
Shortgrass is also responsible for loading the catalogue records for all new titles purchased for the LibraryToGo collection and ensuring the optimal display of the OverDrive titles in the online catalogue.